|Walt Disney Home|
The Walt Disney Elementary School in the Lakeside section of Levittown was built to replace the aging two-room Tullytown schoolhouse that had served the community for generations. In the spring of 1954, with the new school in the planning stages, the Tullytown school board asked the students to select the person for whom they would name it. Generally, elementary schools were named after famous American historic figures. But the Tullytown children had someone different in mind. To everyone's surprise, they chose Walt Disney. The bulk of these children's entertainment was provided by Disney. The market was flooded with Disney books, Disney magazines, Disney toys and Disney movie productions.
Eventually, Mr. Disney was contacted and was pleasantly surprised that a school would bear his name. No other school had ever given him this honor. Not only did he agree to come to the dedication, but he promised to send artists to decorate the school interior. Shown at the left and right are some of the characters that Disney and his artist brought to the school that are still hanging in the school today. The door of each room would bear the name of a Disney character.
On Saturday, September 24, 1955, shortly after 3:00 PM, a Pennsylvania Railroad train approached the Levittown/tullytown station with Walt Disney on board. Many dignitaries greeted him but bit was the children who got his attention. They shouted and waved, and clutched at Mr. Disney as he disembarked the train. After a brief tour of Levittown, Mr. Disney arrived at the new school. There he laid the cornerstone, visited each classroom and delighted the students by telling stories and imitating some of his characters. Mr. Disney seemed to enjoy himself as much as the children.
Almost ten years later the jointure between Tullytown District and the Pennsbury School District took place. In 1969, the "new wing" was dedicated providing twelve new classrooms and allowing for a larger student body. For teachers , students, parents and community members, Walt Disney Elementary School will always hold a special place in our hearts. Walt Disney Elementary School has had many principals occupy its Captain Hook office. The first was John S. Linscott, Jr. followed by Maynard Pennington, George Kobal, Harry Noblitt, Joseph Malloy, Lawrence Callaghan, Edward O'Byrne, Norman Gross, Donna McCormick-Miller(interim), Joanne Smith and Fay Manicke. Laurie Ruffing is presently the principal who oversees a faculty of 40 teachers and itinerant specialists, full-time and part-time secretaries and a variety of other support staff.